Neoprene Mitts Update
After a brief hiatus, Basil and I finally got a chance to run out for groceries, and to test his new neoprene mitts. I made these after seeing some commercial examples because I couldn’t find any that would fit Brompton M bars, like Basil’s.
As suspected, getting my hands into and out of the mitts was no problem at all. I was able to signal and shift without any difficulty, and with very little thought.
You can see why: There’s a lovely gaping maw into which one sticks the hands. The mitts are anchored to the handlebars, so they don’t slip. However, I didn’t realize until I got home that I’d set the left one lower than it should have been. This, oddly, made no difference in use, but it did mean that my Garmin was a bit obscured.
The hook-and-loop fasteners belong above my light mount, not below it. (Yeah, I don’t ride at night. The light is in case I’m running late, and end up coming home on an overcast day a bit later than expected. Should I ever need it, the mitt will be adjusted appropriately.)
On this 32 F/0 C ride, my hands were quite comfortable in thin (though “winter”) gloves. I loved not having to ride wearing my lobster claws — though, since this was the the first trial run for the mitts, I had them tucked in Basil’s saddle bag, just in case. I much prefer the dexterity that comes with lightly clad digits.
That shopping bag has to go. Basil obviously needs a polka dot shopper.